Design Technology Timbers - Options 2024

Course Specification: Pearson Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Design and Technology – Timbers (1DT0)

Course contact: Ms Kristina Webb               webb.k@whiteroseacademies.org

Course Description: A GCSE course in Design & Technology - Timbers offers:

An opportunity for you to identify and solve problems by designing and making products in a wide range of contexts relating to your personal interests.

The course gives students opportunities to apply knowledge from other disciplines, including mathematics, science, art and design, computing, and the humanities.

The study of design and technology seeks to prepare learners to participate confidently and successfully in an increasingly technological world. It helps students to be aware of, and learn from, wider influences on design and technology, including historical, social/cultural, environmental and economic factors.

//www.youtube.com/embed/bAy-0WV6VrM

 

What will I learn?

During year 10 learners will cover core theory content required for the written exam alongside experimenting with practical making skills covered over three projects. 

The content includes:

  • New and emerging technologies
  • Energy generation and storage
  • Developments in modern materials
  • Electronics systems
  • Mechanical devises
  • Material categories and properties
  • Design context
  • Environment, social and economic challenges
  • Investigating past work
  • Design strategies

Learners will develop practical making skills such as:

  • Written and verbal communication

  • Creativity

  • Research

  • Critical reasoning

  • Organisation

  •  Attention detail

Build confidence using a range of specialist equipment.

Build knowledge about a variety of materials including SMART materials and their properties.

Form an excellent basis for careers in Design Technology.

 

How will I be assessed?

Component 1:

The exam is worth 50% 

There are 100 marks available

You will have 1 hour and 45 minutes

Component 2:

NEA – Non examined assessment which is worth 50% of the GCSE Design & Technology - Timbers qualification.

There are 100 marks available.

You will have your written exam in Year 11.

The paper consists of two sections.

Section A is assessed on the core content

This section is 40 marks and contains a mixture of different question styles, including open-response, graphical, calculation and extended-open-response questions.

There will be 10 marks of calculation questions in Section A.

Core Content (40%) includes: -

  • New and emerging technologies
  • Energy generation and storage
  • Developments in modern materials
  • Electronics systems
  • Mechanical devises
  • Material categories and properties
  • Design context
  • Environment, social and economic challenges
  • Investigating past work
  • Design strategies 
  • Communication of ideas

Section B is assessed on the material category - Timbers This section is 60 marks and contains a mixture of different question styles, including open-response, graphical, calculation and extended-open-response questions.

There will be 5 marks of calculation questions in Section B.

Material category (60%) includes: Timber’s specialist questions

 

The NEA topic is released on the 1st June of year 10. In year 11 you will complete your NEA which is your coursework task.

  • Students will undertake a project based on a contextual challenge released a year before certification
  • The project will test students’ skills in investigating, designing, making and evaluating a prototype of a product
  • Task will be internally assessed and externally moderated.
  • The marks are awarded for each part as follows:
    • 1 – Investigate (16 marks)
    • 2 – Design (42 marks)
    • 3 – Make (36 marks)
    • 4 – Evaluate (6 marks)

This project will require you to follow an iterative design process rather than a linear process requiring you to continually test, evaluate and refine ideas.

We all agree that the ‘making’ part is the best bit, but this only counts for 25% of the marks in Component 2. The coursework PowerPoint is worth the remaining 75% of the marks available.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Future Opportunities and Careers 

Design and Technology can develop into careers such as Electrical Engineer, Wood Worker, Furniture Maker, Retail buyer/wholesaler, Architectural Assistant, Technologist, Interior designer, Graphic designer, Product designer, furniture designer, Construction, Sound Engineer, Aeronautical Engineer, Mechanical Engineering Civil Engineer, Architect and many others.

Further study examples

Post-16:

A-Level Design Technology

A-Level Product Design

BTEC Engineering

T-Level Design, Surveying and Planning for Construction

T-Level Business Services

T-Level Engineering for Construction

T-Level Onsite Construction

Apprenticeships:

Furniture Design Technician

Product Development and Design

Puppet Maker

Construction