Sports - Options 2024
Course Specification: OCR Level 1/2 Cambridge National Certificate in Sport Studies
Course contact: Mr J Nolan firstname.lastname@example.org
Cambridge Nationals in Sport offer students the solid foundation required for further study or progression into industry. Students will develop a wide range of highly desirable, transferable skills such as communication, problem solving, team working and performing under pressure. As you might expect, both the bulk of learning and assessment is through practical means.
What will I learn?
The Cambridge National in Sport Studies takes a more sector-based focus, whilst also encompassing some core sport/physical education themes. Students have the opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge about different types of sport and physical activity, skills development and sports leadership to their own practical performance.
They will learn about contemporary issues in sport such as funding, participation, ethics and role models, and sport and the media. Students will develop an appreciation of the importance of sport locally and nationally, different ways of being involved in sport and of how this shapes the sports industry.
How will I be assessed?
Completion of three mandatory
All 4 units contribute towards the final grade.
- R184 - Contemporary issues in sport – written exam paper 1 hour 15 minutes (40%)
- Topic Area 1: Issues which affect participation in sport
- Topic Area 2: The role of sport in promoting values
- Topic area 3: The implications of hosting a major sporting event for a city or country
- Topic area 4: The role national governing bodies play in the development of their sport
- Topic area 5: The use of technology in sport
- R185 – Performance and leadership in sports activities - centre assessed task (40%)
- Topic area 1: Key components of performance
- Topic area 2: Applying practice methods to support improvement in a sporting activity
- Topic area 3: Organising and planning a sports activity session
- Topic area 4: Leading a sports activity session
- Topic area 5: Reviewing your own performance in planning and leading a sports activity session
- R186 –Sport and the media - centre assessed task (20%)
- Topic area 1: The different sources of media that cover sport
- Topic area 2: Positive effects of the media in sport
- Topic area 3: Negative effects of the media in sport
Future Opportunities and Careers
Cambridge Nationals could lead to Level 3 BTEC Sports or Level Sports studies at local Colleges and A level PE.
This can allow you to gain a place at university and lead you into employment in the sports industry through teaching, coaching and management.