Design and Technology Textiles - Options 2024

Course Specification: Pearson Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Design and Technology – Textiles (1DT0

Course contact: Miss A Patel                  patel.a1@whiteroseacademies.org

Course Description: A GCSE course in Design & Technology - Textiles offers:

During year 10 learners will cover core theory content required for the written exam alongside experimenting with practical making skills covered over three projects.

What will I learn?

Core content includes

How will I be assessed?

Component 1:

The exam is worth 50% of

Component 2:

NEA – Non examined assessment which is worth 50%

You will have your written exam in Year 11.

The paper consists of two sections.

Section A is assessed on the core content (40%):

 

Section B is assessed on the material category - Textiles (60%)

 

 

In year 11 you will complete your NEA which is your coursework task.

● Students will undertake a project based on a contextual challenge

● The project will test students’ skills in investigating, designing, making and evaluating a prototype of a product.

 

We all agree that the ‘making’ part is the best part, but this only counts for 25% of the marks in Component 2. The coursework PowerPoint is worth the remaining 75% of the marks available.

 Future Opportunities and Careers

Design and Technology can develop into careers such as Textile designer, Garment Technologist, Retail buyer/wholesaler, Costume designer, Textiles operative, Interior designer, Graphic design, Product design, furniture designer and many others.

Further study examples

Post 16:

A-Level Textiles              A-Level Design Technology          A-Level Product Design       BTEC Fashion and Textiles

Apprenticeships:

Fashion Studio Assistant                           Fashion Marketing and Communication

Product Development and Design      Sales and Operation

If you study GCSE Textiles you cannot also study Design & Technology (Timbers)